Call for Applications for Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at USIU-Africa for the May
(Summer) 2023 Intake
United States International University-Africa (USIU-Africa) has partnered with the Mastercard Foundation in
its global Scholars Program. This initiative will offer academically talented youth from Africa facing financial,
gender, displacement, or disability constraints an opportunity to access world class university education.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at USIU-Africa will provide full-cost scholarships to young
Africans who are first-time undergraduate degree-seeking applicants. By completion of their studies, scholars
will be required to lead changes in their communities and contribute to meaningful transformation across
the continent, having been equipped with internationally recognized and locally applicable qualifications.
The scholarship targets African youth who are either, Young Women, Refugees/ displaced Youth, Persons
with Disability and Young Men with the following qualities;
• Academic talent
• Commitment to giving back to their communities
• Leadership potential
**Priority shall be given to registered Refugees/Displaced youth and Persons with Disability.
To be eligible for the scholarship applicants must;
1. Be 29 years and below at the time of application
2. Meet the minimum university entry grade of a C+ and above or its equivalent as set by the Kenya
Commission for University Education. Applicants interested in courses in the school of Pharmacy and
Health sciences must have a mean grade of B- or its equivalent and at least a C+ or B- in the cluster
subjects of English, Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry. International applicants must meet the
3. Must be interested in any of the approved 13 undergraduate degree programs for the Scholars Program
at USIU-Africa as follows:
• School of Science and Technology (SST) – Bachelor of Science in Applied Computer Technology,
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems and Technology, Bachelor of Science in Software
Engineering and Bachelor of Science in Data Science and Analytics
• School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (SPHS) – Bachelor of Pharmacy, Bachelor of Epidemiology
• School of Communication, Cinematic and Creative Arts (SCCCA) – Bachelor of Arts in Animation,
Bachelor of Arts in Film Production and Directing;
• Chandaria School of Business (CSB) – Bachelor of Science in Finance, Bachelor of Science in
International Business Administration and Bachelor of Science in Accounting;
• School of Humanities and Social Sciences (SHSS) – Bachelor of Arts in International Relations
and Bachelor of Arts in Psychology)
4. Have proven record of leadership involvement and community give back engagement.
5. Demonstrate socio-economic disadvantage.
More information about the above highlighted degree programs can be found at the university website:
a. Interested applicants can download the application form the USIU-Africa website;
https://www.usiu.ac.ke/mastercard-foundation-scholars-program. Application forms
can also be picked from the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program office at the School of
Graduate Studies, Research and Extension, 2nd floor.
b. Before filling in the application form, please read through all the instructions and required
c. Submit complete application together with other supporting documents required by email ensuring
that the scanned copy of the scholarship application form and all the required documents are
scanned in PDF format. Clearly name while sending with your name and nationality as the email
subject to: firstname.lastname@example.org or drop your application at the Scholars Program
Office, located in the School of Graduate Studies, Research and Extension building at USIU-
APPLICANTS ARE ADVISED TO SEND ONLY ONE COMPLETE APPLICATION. DUPLICATE AND
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE REJECTED. PLEASE NOTE THAT CANVASING WILL LEAD TO
Important dates and deadlines:
• Release of call for applications – Monday August 15, 2022.
• Application Deadline – Friday, September 16, 2022 at 11:59pm (East Africa Time)
**If you do not hear from us by this date; Tuesday, January 31, 2023, please consider your application
unsuccessful. Due to the large volumes of applications received, we are unable to give personalized feedback
to all the applicants.
• The Scholars program will communicate to applicants through email and phone contact. Applicants
should ensure that the phone numbers and email addresses provided are accurate and active in order
to receive important information and feedback.
• After the selection process, successful applicants will be invited for a virtual or in person interview
conducted by independent panels.
• Applicants who will be discovered to have provided false information during any stage of the application
and selection process will be disqualified. Any attempt to influence the selection process will lead to
• The Scholars program at USIU-Africa does not work with any agents or intermediaries in the
application and selection process. There are absolutely NO charges, fees or “facilitation” required
at any stage of the application and selection process.
Benefits of joining the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program:
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars at USIU-Africa will receive holistic support which includes:
a. Tuition and functional fees;
b. Laptop and library books;
c. Reasonable accommodation and meals;
d. Medical insurance;
f. Transport to and from home once a year;
g. Access to leadership training;
h. Access to entrepreneurial training;
i. Psycho-social support, career counselling and mentorship;
j. Disability needs will be reasonably catered for.
Any queries can be directed through e-mail to email@example.com or phone no: +254730116218;
+254730116500; +254730116303; +254730116521; +254730116107; 254730116148 or in person.
MAY (SUMMER) 2023 INTAKE MASTERCARD FOUNDATION SCHOLARS
PROGRAM AT UNITED STATES INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY-AFRICA (USIU-
USIU-Africa appreciates your interest in the Scholars Program made possible by the partnership of
Mastercard Foundation and USIU-Africa. By completing this application, you are taking the first step
in a process that will allow us to learn more about you, your achievements, and your goals as a potential
Scholar of this Program. We encourage you to read the application guidelines before filling the form.
The application form is NOT FOR SALE and NO PAYMENT IS REQUIRED.
Completed application and supporting documents should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
by Friday, September 16, 2022. Our selection committee will review all applications carefully and nominate
finalists for interviews. All finalists will be interviewed either in person or virtually. Communication to the
selected Scholars will be done by Tuesday, January 31, 2023.
A completed application should include the following:
1. Application letter stating the following:
a) Personal Background including family financial position.
b) Why you chose USIU-Africa.
c) Where you see yourself after graduation.
2. Copies of academic documents (final high school certificates);
3. Recommendation letter from your high school teacher, head teacher or sponsoring organization.
The letter must be current, official, stamped and signed.
4. One recent Passport size photograph;
5. A copy of your Birth certificate, National Identity Card or Passport and/or refugee travel
6. A copy of refugee identity document (where applicable).
7. A copy of disability registration document/card (where applicable)
Please note that we will NOT evaluate INCOMPLETE applications.
Complete applications should be delivered/emailed only ONCE. Duplicate applications or several emails
from the same person will lead to disqualification of the applicant. Applications sent to another email
address other than the one provided will not be evaluated
All applications must be received by Friday, September 16, 2022 at 11:59pm (East Africa Time).
We strongly encourage earlier submissions.
**Please read carefully all the instructions and gather all the necessary supporting documents before filling the application form
Mention Mafudi Classified when calling seller to get a good deal